1. What is your favorite restaurant and why? roina_arwen picked a pricey one as all-time favorite. For that category, I'd have to say The Grill at the Savoy Hotel in London. That's where they placed a fork just so, balancing the plate of asparagus and holandais to keep the holandais in one spot, and where they taught me to use asaparagus tongs. Or maybe Aqua, the only place I've ever enjoyed an oyster on the half-shell. It was served with a teaspoon of frozen marguerita on it.
Locally, my preferences change depending on what I feel like eating. There are a number of good restaurants in town which have a gooey-cheesey offering. But I can't remember where you can order avocado on your cheeseburger. That would be not Max & Erma's, where Knight took me last night, when I had a taste for avocado. I thought I remembered it on their menu. Sigh.
For really off-beat, in Lexington, I think I'd choose Ed & Fred's Desert Moon. They make peanut coleslaw there. And meatloaf with pinenuts in it. I don't ordinarily like coleslaw at all, but I'll eat theirs.
Oooh, and for out-of-town, how can I fail to mention my new fave: Cozy Mel's. The food is delicious and the presentation is wonderful.
2. What fast food restaurant are you partial to? Does Schlotsky's count as fast food? I like Taco Bell for price, and was tickled when we got a Popeye's Chicken in Lexington.
3. What are your standards and rules for tipping? I usually round up from 15%, more if there was unusually good service, or if there were unusually trying circumstances for the server. (Like when bringing a toddler who suddenly becomes fussy.)
4. Do you usually order an appetizer and/or dessert? More often an appetizer than a dessert. I like to taste lots of different things, though, so I'm likely to try to talk my dining companion into sharing an appetizer and a dessert, while I take home half my dinner to leave room for all that. Once, a group of five of us went to the Atomic Café when it was new. They have five desserts on the menu, so I suggested we each order one and share them out. Flar seemed to be the only one in the group who didn't understand the motivation.
5. What do you usually order to drink at a restaurant? Usually water, occasionally lemonade. If I happen to know that the restaurant makes good, tart, fresh-squeezed lemonade, then definitely lemonade.